Get Adobe Flash player

Chang Language

Voice of Dhamma


Home Present Watthepthidaram Worawiharn

Present Wat Thepthidaram Woraviharn

( 4 Votes )
User Rating: / 0

 VDO History of Watthepthidaram Worawiharn 01

JavaScript is disabled!
To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.

VDO History of Wat Thepthidaram Worawiharn 02

JavaScript is disabled!
To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.

thepthidaram temple

        Wat Thepthidaram Worawiharn is categorized as  the third degree of Thailand’s royal temple.  It is located at 70 Mahachai Road, Samran Rat, Phra Nakon, Bangkok.

       King Rama III of Chakriwongse Dynasty wished to commemorate his daughter, Her Royal Princess Wilat with a temple in 1836.  His royal order was given to his son. His Royal Prince Laddawan who was born by Lady Aim Noi, to put forth his plan to build the temple which was successfully completed in 1839.  His Majesty the King Rama III named the temple as Wat Thepthidaram which means ‘Heavenly Angel’ (Absornsudathep).  His Majesty then attended   the opening ceremony as chief principle of the Buddhist ceremony on December 22, 1839.


 Sunthornpoo monk’s cell 

       Sunthonphu was a great poet during the reign of King Rama III. This was his cell when he was monk in this temple. Now this cell houses all his belongings during his monkhood.

World – Class Masterpiece

       In 1986, for his Bicentennial, UNESCO officially recognised his eminence as the Prople’s Poet of Thailand and the world’s distinguished figure of cultural masterpiece. The Year also witnessed nationwide celebration.

       A new edition of his works, translations, and biographical studies were published in many languages, for instance, Sunthorn Phu’s German version, Phra Abhaimanis Danish and Russian editions. Besides, the cultural fairs and entertainment attested to the esteem in which the poet was held. He is the only common poet having ever honoured like this.

       The Thai government has proclaimed his bicentenary calebrations since 26 June 1986, the year of the great poet “Sunthorn Phu”. THE PEOPLE’S POET, ONE OF THE GREATEST THAI POETS


The Principle Buddha (Lucky Buddha) 

       Phra Phuttha Thewawirat is the Principle Buddha image situated in the Ordination Hall.  He was beautifully carved from pure white stone with the measurement of 14w X 20h inches in the posture of ‘Subduing Mara’ (Pang Malwichai).  King Rama III brought him over from the Grand Royal Palace and placed him in the elegant Whetchayan Pavillion. Then, King Bhumipol Adulyadej (King Rama IX) renamed the Buddha Image as Phra Phuttha Thewawirat.  However, most people prefer calling him as Luang Pho Khao (White Buddha).


The Bhikkhunis (Female Monks)

       The statue of 52 Bhikkhunis are beautifully situated in the Main Hall.  They were built with Thai bronze with the measurement of 11w X 21h inches.  They are all located facing the Buddha Image in different postures.  They are one of the oldest and rarest Bhikkhuni statues left in the world.


The Ornamented Standing Buddha 

       In front of the Principle Buddha, there are two adorned standing Buddha images located one on the left and one on the right.  Their posture is called ‘Calming the Ocean’ (Pang Hamsamut).  They symbolize as paying homage to Her Royal Princess Wirat, Krom Muen Absonsudathep.


The Four-Corner Stupas

       Each of the corners of the temple is decorated with a stupa.  The stupas or Phra Prang Chaturatit were built with bricks and mortars as tall as 15 meters from ground.  They are all located at the corners of north, south, east and west of the temple.  At the base of the each stupa, there are four guardian deity images, namely, Thao Thatarot, Thao Virunhok, Thao Virupak and Thao Kuwen who are believed to stand guarding the temple at their own corners.  (Thai stupa designs were being influenced by Khmer Culture which name is called ‘Prang’.)


The Statues in the Temple 

       Around the well-kept ancient monastery, there are quite a number of Chinese and Thai statues carved stone. They were exquisitely carved into the form of human and animal figures.  They are used as part of decoration to beautify the monastery and its surrounding areas.   Unfortunately, many are being damaged  some were stolen without trace.

VDO History of Watthepthidaram Worawiharn 03

JavaScript is disabled!
To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.

Last Updated (Friday, 20 September 2013 15:21)


Add comment

Security code